Red Sofa Literary is the celebration of the quirky, eclectic ideas in our exciting literary community. Realizing that the best ideas come via engaging conversations and over good coffee, while sometimes relaxing in a colorful lounger.
Established by literary agent Dawn Frederick, previously of Sebastian Literary Agency, she brings a broad knowledge of the book business to the table—with multiple years of experience as a bookseller in the independent, chain, and specialty stores; sales, marketing, & book development at a YA publisher, a published nonfiction author, and an agent associate literary agent at Sebastian Literary Agency in 2002 (before Red Sofa Literary was established).
In addition to her literary agent duties, she extensively volunteers with her local library system, while still finding time to spend quality time on her “wheels.”
She carries a B.S. in Human Ecology, and a M.S. in Information Sciences from an ALA accredited institution. “Not only do I know what people like to read and are currently reading; I also have the experience of working one-on-one with authors, book distribution centers, and literary organizations.”
Dawn Frederick’s Representative Categories:
- Young Adult – Fiction and Nonfiction
- Middle Grade – Fiction and Nonfiction
- Biography — Historical, media-related, political—no personal memoirs
- Creative Nonfiction — It needs to be smart, with noticeable platform, and highly commercial.
- Graphic Novels — No manga please.
- History – Books that will engage the commerical reader. ex: Michael Beschloss
- Humor – I loved The Zombie Survival Guide, How to be a Villain, and Yiddish with Dick and Jane.
- Pop Culture – Especially Americana, and anything quirky
- Social Issues/Current Affairs—Women’s Studies, GLTB Studies, Social Sciences, and more.
- Sports — Less mainstream, more extreme sport, ex: Roller Derby
- Women’s Narratives – chicklit nonfiction, Latina, African-American, and more.